Tuesday, December 8, 2015

I was literally pulled into the shop on Front Street in Lahaina, Maui.

We're here for our 30th wedding anniversary. We go to Lahaina because it's the place my mom was born and we wanted to see the Buddha at the Jodo Mission.

A beautiful young woman pulls me into a skin care shop and says, "I see wrinkles around your eyes. I can do something about that!" She proceeds to put serum around ONLY ONE EYE and then pressures my husband. "Doesn't this side look much better? Doesn't it?!"

Wes nods but when she looks away he shakes his head, "No."

It's all a scam. I look at Wes and say, "What time do we have to return to the car, Sweetheart? Ten minutes?! Oh, we must go!"

I won't even tell you the name of the store but here is my question: "What if churches did this?"

A person walks by and someone from the church offers a hand to a passerby and says, "I see wrinkles around your eyes. Would you like to come in and tell me about them?"

The person comes in. They talk about their life, their sorrows, their joys. When they leave they feel better. And maybe, just maybe, they look better. And best of all: no charge.

After the woman finally did both my eyes, she called a man whom she called "the dermatologist." Then she disappeared. I mean, she actually left the store.

Then he really pressured me about buying eye serum for three ninety-nine. That's $399.00. Almost FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Finally I said, "You know, I don't really care about wrinkles around my eyes."

In an instant he went from friendly to furious. "Well, fine!" he said.

I wish I had said to him, "Look, we came here to see the Buddha. Do you think I give a crap about wrinkles around my eyes?" But I didn't want to be rude or snarky.

But if you take one look at that Buddha you can see: either he's using that eye serum or .  .  . he doesn't care about his wrinkles and he's really at peace.



No comments: