Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's Not About the Award


Tonight is the awards ceremony for the 2009 Washington State Book Awards. It's Not About the Hair did not win, but it was a finalist in the history/biography category.

I know I sound like a loser actress when I say that I was thrilled to be a finalist. But I was! Seriously. It was even more thrilling because I didn't know I had been nominated and the congratulatory e-mail was a nice surprise. It just proves to me that often unknowable things are happening for us right now, that will come to fruition at a later time.

I recently got a big boost in Amazon sales but I don't think it was because of this award. It was because the infamous "sex chapter" was excerpted in CURE magazine:
http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.show/id/2/article_id/1246


I've been getting all sorts of messages about that, mostly saying, "Yay! Someone is talking about sex!" Well, I'm glad I'm able to help. But no one knows about WSBA because they don't usually publish the list of finalists. Just the winners who also get $1,000.

So I'll let you know what the ceremony and reception is like. It's at 7 p.m. at the Downtown Library in the Microsoft auditorium. It's open to the public which makes me suspect it will be catered by Costco.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No comments: