Friday, March 9, 2012

Award/Reward


I've been at the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine conference this week. I watched several people with decades of experience in medicine receive well-deserved awards.

Many of us will never work in the same job for forty years, so we will never get a "lifetime achievement" or "career" award. (Mothers should definitely be getting awards if they've managed to raise children to become kind and compassionate adults.)

But here's the thing: even if you stay in the same field for forty years, you have to find reward in your work every day or the big award at the end is empty.

I'm so happy to find the rewards in my work. As I watched person after person walk off the stage with a big glass award I wondered, "What do you do with all those things?"

That's just one more reminder of why the daily reward is better: you don't have to dust it.

No comments: